Friday 27 July 2012
















Got my fourth game of 6th Edition 40k last night, and finally managed to win a game. Here’s hoping there are plenty more wins where that one came from.


The game was 2500pts against Dark Eldar with Dawn of War deployment and the Big Guns mission type.


First two turns went well, in no small part to luck. Having seized the initiative my opponent set his sights on my Monolith, Command Barge and C’tan, but thanks to some decent dice results all three survived. True my Barge was immobilised and my C’tan down to one wound, but I’d not conceded first blood and my Monolith had escaped without a scratch.


With the Dark Eldar now at mid-range it became a shooting gallery for my Necrons, who tore apart Hellions, Scourges and a Ravager with shooting, then assault from my Scarabs and C’tan took out two Raiders and in the case of the Scarabs destroyed the unit inside as there was no room to escape.


With this strong start things were looking good, and by the time we were moving in to turn 3 I was getting overconfident and started to think of the rest of the game as a mopping up operation. I was punished for this when his flyer nearly eliminated a squad of Warriors, forcing them to flee off the board, and Vect and his Incubi leapt from their Raider to wipe another big Warrior squad.


His Incubi proved to be particularly hard to kill, with Feel No Pain and close to an artefact giving them a 4+ invulnerable it took most of my army’s firepower just to kill a handful. The survivors rolled into my Overlord and his Immortals and after two rounds of fighting forced them to flee and chased them down when they ran.


I’d been pushed back on the defensive, and the game eventually went on a full 7 turns. By the end I could only hold a single objective, which along with First Blood and Linebreaker gave me 5VP. The Dark Eldar had slain my Warlord and also managed Linebreaker making the final score 5vp-2vp.


This game was my first use of a flyer, in this case a Doom Scythe, which was a lot of fun but mostly used to take out my opponent’s flyer. I’m planning on using it as a Night Scythe next game and will see how that serves me.


Speaking of Necron flyers, a couple of guys at the club decided to split the cost of a Doom Scythe, but couldn’t decide which colour scheme to use. So, in the end, they decided to paint it as Hello Kitty. Seriously. I’ve got photos of that which I’ll aim to post up later today or some time tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment